Fresh Start is a programme of physical activity designed for people who are not currently meeting the recommendations for physical activity and have a medical condition such as:
- Atrial fibrillation
- Cerebrovascular disease (CVA or TIA)
- Diabetes (Type 1 or 2)
- >10% risk of CVD
- Mild to Moderate Mental Health conditions
Fresh Start – our exercise referral programme
Being physically active is not about lifting heavy weights or running a marathon, it is about living an active lifestyle every day. At Mytime Active we believe that everyone has the right to a healthier active lifestyle.
There are many benefits associated with healthy physical activity and regular exercise including reduced risk of heart disease, improved blood pressure, increased muscular strength, improved mobility and increased confidence and energy levels.
The Fresh Start programme is a series of 12 supervised sessions, which is free and funded by NHS Bromley Clinical Commissioning Group for Bromley patients who meet the eligibility criteria agreed by local doctors. Sessions are supervised by exercise specialists who will work with you to tailor an exercise programme based on your individual goals and medical condition. Mytime Active exercise specialists are fully qualified level 3 Exercise Referral Instructors and are members of the Register of the Exercise Professionals.
Those who do not meet the funded criteria but have any of the conditions listed below, are still able to access 12 sessions of Fresh Start at a concessionary rate:
- Neurological Conditions (Including MS and Parkinsons)
- Non Diabetic Hyperglycemia
- Body Mass Index >30
If you are interested in this service, enquire with us online, contact us on 020 8290 4000 or email the Exercise Referral team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to expect from FreshStart?
- At your initial appointment you will meet one of our Exercise Specialists. They will discuss your needs and give you advice on the appropriate exercise for your medical condition and further information about the programme.
- Begin your FreshStart. At your first session a personalised exercise programme will be developed for you. The programme will start off gently and progress over 12 sessions as you become fitter and more familiar with exercise.
- Following completion of the programme you will be signposted to a range of appropriate activities that suit you.
Your FreshStart programme should make you feel more confident about continuing exercise.
Here are a few more ideas on how you can incorporate physical activity into your everyday life.
- Go for a walk
- Do some gardening
- Walk or cycle to work or the shops
- Get off the bus prior to your normal stop or park further away and walk the rest of the distance
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Go swimming.